August 12, 2020 Find out more JordanMiddle East – North Africa June 28, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Cyber-dissident pardoned by King Abdullah The pardon did not cancel the 18-month prison term she received on 29 May from the state security court for publishing allegedly false information abroad harming the reputation of the state and its officials. The conviction may prevent her from running in the next parliamentary elections. ______________________________________________________________11.06.2002 – Great concern about the health of Toujan el-FaisalReporters Without Borders said today it was very concerned about the health of imprisoned Jordanian cyber-dissident Toujan El-Faisal, hospitalised several days ago as a result of a hunger strike, and called for her immediate release.”The Jordanian authorities will have a big responsibility if her health worsens because they fail to take her protest seriously and do not improve her conditions of detention,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard.Noting that the UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression said in a January 2000 report that imprisonment for peacefully expressing an opinion was a serious human rights violation, he urged Jordan to drop all charges against her. Receive email alerts Imprisoned Jordanian cyber-dissident Toujan el-Faisal was pardoned on 26 June by King Abdullah, one day after the country’s Chechen-Circassian community, to which she belongs, had appealed for her release on humanitarian grounds. She had been on hunger strike for 29 days. Faisal told the daily Jordan Times she was grateful to human rights organisations and activists who had pressed for her release. She said she planned to go to Syria to recuperate at the home of her cousin. She lost 16 kgs during her hunger strike. June 15, 2020 Find out more Faisal, who was Jordan’s first-ever female member of parliament, has been in the King Hussein Medical Centre in Amman since 9 June, suffering from severe dehydration due to a hunger strike she started at the beginning of the month to protest against her conditions of detention at the Jweidah Women’s Correctional and Rehabilitation Centre. Her brother Mohammed said she had lost a lot of weight and had kidney problems from dehydration.Faisal, who was arrested on 29 March, was sentenced to the maximum 18 months imprisonment by the state security court on 16 May for publishing allegedly false information abroad harming the reputation of the state and its officials. She was also accused of having insulted the country’s legal system in an interview with the Qatari TV station Al-Jazeera in which she denounced the corruption of Jordan’s courts. No appeal can be made against the state security court’s decisions.In an open letter that appeared on the website of the Houston (Texas)-based Arab Times (www.arabtimes.com) on 6 March, Faisal accused Prime Minister Ali Abu Ragheb of having profited financially from a government decision to double vehicle insurance rates.Faisal appealed to the supreme court on 29 May to annul her conviction, on grounds that her constitutional and human rights were violated, notably because she was not allowed to summon witnesses, including the prime minister.Since the beginning of this year, three journalists have been arrested in Jordan and two weeklies censored. News News Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives News April 14, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Jordan News Jordan bans coverage of teachers’ protests Help by sharing this information to go further Two Jordanian TV journalists arrested after broadcasting criticism of lockdown JordanMiddle East – North Africa Organisation RSF_en
Business News Make a comment CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Community News L.A. County Pushes Sheriff for Transparency on Deputy Shootings By ELIZABETH MARCELLINO, City New Service Published on Tuesday, July 7, 2020 | 6:55 pm 22 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. More Cool Stuff Herbeauty6 Fashion Trends You Should Never Try And 6 You’ll LoveHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyStop Eating Read Meat (Before It’s Too Late)HerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty15 things only girls who live life to the maximum understandHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyA Dark Side Of Beauty Salons Not Many People Know AboutHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyYou’ll Want To Get Married Twice Or Even More Just To Put Them OnHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyBaby Boom: The Stars Are Getting Busy In QuarantineHerbeautyHerbeauty Top of the News Subscribe Community News The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Tuesday approved multiple motions designed to push Sheriff Alex Villanueva to be more transparent and to cooperate with the Office of Inspector General in investigating fatal shootings by sheriff’s deputies.The board also vowed to move forward with a long-awaited probation oversight commission.Supervisor Hilda Solis submitted a motion asking the sheriff to release evidence pertaining to deputy-involved shootings as quickly as possible and to give the Office of Inspector General immediate access to all related records.“L.A. County has been facing an epidemic for years: systemic violence, brutality, and racism at the hands of law enforcement agencies. We have seen too many loved ones from our communities of color killed by law enforcement and have witnessed these very same agencies subsequently conduct their own investigations into these matters,” Solis said. “Recent civil unrest both nationally and locally underscore the public’s deep-seated distrust in law enforcement agencies. This distrust is exacerbated by the lack of transparency in how these agencies conduct their investigations into these cases.”The motion, approved by the board, also asks the sheriff to provide written justification when video evidence is not released or autopsy results are placed on a security hold, as well as to “repurpose” the Sheriff’s Information Bureau to comply with laws on transparency.Supervisor Kathryn Barger expressed her own frustration.“As someone who truly does believe in public safety, I think it’s more important now than ever to have that transparency front and center,” Barger said. “It’s unfortunate that we have to continue to request that this OIG be allowed to oversee the very department the office was created to monitor. And by the way, that predates the sheriff that is in that office now, this is something that dates back to … Sheriff Baca and also under Sheriff McDonnell. We’ve had several deputy-involved shootings recently with absolutely no transparency to the public.”The motion cites penal code section 832.7 as authority for these requirements, but given the sheriff’s willingness to ignore subpoenas issued by the Civilian Oversight Commission and requests for information by the inspector general, it is not entirely clear how the board will enforce compliance.Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas emphasized that the board wasn’t asking for a rush to judgment on deputy-involved shootings, but that a second, independent investigation by an entity other than the Sheriff’s Department was essential to public confidence in the results of any inquiry.“Anything that seeks to remove the option for independent investigation reeks of, implies, cover-up,” Ridley-Thomas. “That’s the very thing that we are seeking to avoid … we have to continue to press this case. This sheriff has to abide by the law.”In his comments to the board, the sheriff seemed to reject the independence of Inspector General Max Huntsman and also suggested that the board itself be subject to oversight.“I support the notion of oversight in its entirety, however, it has to be independent oversight and the efforts from the Board of Supervisors fall far short of independence,” Villanueva said. “I would support an inspector general who was voted on by the public at large, so he’s not beholden to your political interests.”The sheriff said he sent a letter Monday to Supervisor Kathryn Barger, who chairs the board, citing multiple requests for redaction software and additional personnel to manage requests for documents. Villanueva
Spoken word artist and poet Prince Ea (Richard Williams) has shifted his career over the last couple of years, choosing to focus more on filmmaking and spoken word pieces than traditional music and hip-hop recordings.His latest piece of work features the artist putting the American school system on trial, questioning its current archaic methods:“Are you proud of the things you’ve done? Turning millions of people into robots Do you find that fun? Do realize how many kids relate to that fish? Swimming upstream in class, never finding their gifts Thinking they are stupid, Believing they are useless? The time has come, no more excuses, I call school to the stand And excuse him of killing creativity, individuality, and being intellectually abusive He is an ancient institution that has outlived his usage.”He goes into comparing other industries to the school system, looking at telephones and cars from 150+ years ago, showing that that while those have made incredible strides in their evolution, the classroom has not changed at all. Ea argues that while other nations are changing with the times, and truly challenging students, our system is living in the past, which is the reason for our recent decline in education ranking worldwide. He certainly has a point, but check it out for yourself below:
24 Aug 2015 Becca beats the pros to start a winning double England squad player Becca Earl set off on a winning double when she birdied her way to victory in the WPGA One Day Series. Just 24 hours after beating the professionals with her lowest-ever score of four-under par, Earl was the winner again. This time, the 15-year-old from Bishops Stortford in Hertfordshire, took the girls’ honours in the Prince of Wales amateur challenge trophies at Woburn. Earl, a member of the England Golf Thames Valley U16 squad, started her winning run in the WPGA event at South Herts Golf Club. Her round began slowly and she was two-over par after eight holes, before putting together a blistering sequence of five consecutive birdies from the ninth. She parred the 14th before another birdie on the 15th – and then parred steadily home for 70, finishing three clear of the joint runners-up, Sian Evans and Danielle Anderson. Earl, who is the Hertfordshire girls’ champion, teed off in the event with the aim of: “Having the experience of playing with the pros and seeing where I was compared to them – and to try and get my handicap cut. “I’ve got a lot of confidence from it, I know what standard I am and that I can play with some of the best. It was a really good opportunity.” The following day she played on the Duchess course at Woburn, scoring two over 76 and level par to win the U21 girls’ event by a stroke. “I had a good week!” said Earl. This is the second season that girls from the England Golf U16 and U18 regional squads have had the opportunity to enter the WPGA’s popular One Day Series and gain tournament experience. Rebecca Hembrough, the England Golf Performance Manager for women’s golf, commented: “England Golf is very grateful to the WPGA for opening up spaces at these events and supporting our regional programme. “The experience is invaluable and gives the girls a great opportunity to compete and to see at first-hand how the professional players approach the game.” Click here for full WPGA scores
Real Madrid fullback Carvajal: We should’ve finished off Villarrealby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid fullback Dani Carvajal admits they blew two points for their draw with Villarreal.Real kicked off 2019 with a 2-2 draw against the Yellow Submarine.Carvajal lamented, “We had some real chances to finish the game and make it 1-3, but in the end, we drew and dropped two points. We needed those three points to close the gaps on the leader. Now we need to keep working hard and rack up some points. This is not an easy place to come play. We’re disappointed because we were ahead for practically the whole match and not winning really stings.””We knew that they would have to push forward and leave the defence open. Before finishing with a draw, we had two massive chances to kill it off, we did not finish and they nicked a goal at the end.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Some of the most active companies traded Friday on the Toronto Stock Exchange:Toronto Stock Exchange (16,326.51, down 90.47 points)Osisko Mining Inc. (TSX:OSK). Miner. Down 12 cents, or 5.69 per cent, to $1.99 on 18.85 million shares.Bombardier Inc. (TSX:BBD.B). Aerospace, rail equipment. Down three cents, or 0.63 per cent, to $4.70 on 18 million shares.Aurora Cannabis Inc. (TSX:ACB). Healthcare. Down 16 cents, or 2.56 per cent, to $6.09 on 10.06 million shares.Enbridge Inc. (TSX:ENB). Oil and gas. Down 21 cents, or 0.44 per cent, to $47.05 on 4.12 million shares.AutoCanada Inc. (TSX:ACQ). Retailer. Down $3.96, or 26.92 per cent, to $10.75 on 3.92 million shares.Cequence Energy Ltd. (TSX:CQE). Oil and gas. Unchanged on 3.71 million shares.Companies reporting major news:Freshii Inc. (TSX:FRII). Restaurants. Down 65 cents, or 10.27 per cent, to $5.68 on 375,000 shares. The company reported second quarter results that missed analyst expectations. Freshii had adjusted net income of three cents per share, short of the four cents per share expected by analysts according to Thomson Reuters Eikon. The company says it expects up to US$285 million in sales from as many as 760 stores within the next year or so, a big leap from its current count of between 400 and 500 locations.
JAKARTA, Indonesia — Indonesia has finalized transfer of majority control over giant gold and copper mine from Freeport-McMoRan.President Joko Widodo on Friday announced the landmark deal worth $3.85 billion to take over a 51.2 per cent stake in PT Freeport Indonesia from the U.S. company has been completed by PT Inalum, a state-owned mining company.The two sides have been on a collision course since a presidential regulation in 2012 imposed a limit of 49 per cent on foreign ownership of companies issued new mining licenses. Foreign investors with ownership greater than 49 per cent were required to sell shares to state-owned enterprises or privately owned Indonesian companies.Freeport-McMoRan initially owns 90 per cent of the Grasberg mine since it began operating in Indonesia’s easternmost Papua in 1973. The rest is owned by the Indonesian government.The Associated Press
New Delhi: The Election Commission (EC) on Saturday asked political parties to desist from displaying photographs of defence personnel in their poll campaign in view of a picture on social media showing image of Indian Air Force Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman in a political poster.In a letter to political parties written on Saturday, the EC referred to its December 2013 guidelines in which it had called upon all political parties to advise their candidates and leaders “to desist from displaying photographs of defence personnel or photographs of functions involving defence personnel in advertisements or as part of their election campaign”. Also Read – Squadrons which participated in Balakot air strike awarded citations on IAF Day”The commission reiterates the instructions for strict compliance,” the letter said.The 2013 letter referred to the defence ministry informing the poll panel about photographs of defence personnel being used by leaders and candidates of political parties and had sought instructions from the poll panel.The commission had said it was of the view that photographs of defence personnel and of functions of defence forces should not be associated with advertisement or campaigning by political parties.Wing Commander Varthaman had shot down a Pakistan Air Force F-16 fighter aircraft on February 27 during an aerial engagement with Pakistan Air Force but his plane too was hit and he landed in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir. He was later released by Pakistan as a “peace gesture”.
Pep Guardiola has hit back at Yaya Toure, claiming the accusations made by the midfielder that he is racist are nothing more than just a lie.Toure will be leaving Manchester City in this summer as soon as his contract expires, which is probably the main reason why he took a jab at the manager, suggesting he has issues with players of African decent.“He was cruel to me,” Toure stated. “Do you really think Barcelona could have done that with Iniesta? I came to wonder if it was not because of my colour.”“I am not the first to talk about these differences in treatment. In Barca, some have also asked the question. Maybe we Africans are not always treated by some in the same way as others.”“When we realise that he often has problems with Africans wherever he goes, I ask myself questions…”Report: City are stunned by Norwich George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Manchester City was stunned by Norwich City in todays Premier League clash.Much has been made in recent days of the potential impact of Aymeric…“When the day comes that he picks a team featuring five Africans – and not naturalised Africans – I promise I will send him a cake!”Guardiola clapped back, claiming this was a lie and nothing else.“It’s a lie and he knows it.”“We were together for two years and now this is when he says it,” Guardiola said, according to TalkSport.“He never told me face to face.”
Former Manchester United defender Danny Higginbotham is certain that Manchester City didn’t disrespect Burton in their Carabao Cup semi-final winPep Guardiola’s side handed Burton a thrashing at the Etihad Stadium with Gabriel Jesus scoring a career-best four goals in a game.Kevin De Bruyne, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Phil Foden, Kyle Walker and Riyad Mahrez all got their names on the scoresheet themselves to hand City a 9-0 aggregate lead.Despite being 4-0 up at half-time, Higginbotham praised City for keeping up the tempo as they added another five goals before the final whistle.“I’ve been on the wrong end of some severe scorelines and it’s horrible,” Higginbotham told Sky Sports.“But what’s worse is if you get a team that get to four or five and then stop. It’s unprofessional.Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“Burton knew what was about to happen to them. If City had got to three or four and then showboated, people would have complained about that.“You’re bringing confidence to players within that team as well. (Gabriel) Jesus comes into the team and scores four goals, (Kevin) De Bruyne’s just coming back from injury, (Phil) Foden comes on again.“I don’t see it as unprofessional. It would have been disrespectful for City to go about it any other way.“What it does now is it means Pep can rest all his players in the second leg. It’s fantastic from Manchester City and I love the way they’ve gone about it and their attitude.”The return leg between Burton and City will take place on January 23.