At the National Associa-tion of Master Bakers (NA) conference, held at the May Bank Holiday weekend, in Stratford-upon-Avon, social events played an important part.The Neil Houliston memorial cup was presented in memory of Keith Houliston’s son Neil, who tragically died in a car crash on Christmas Day this last December. It was won by Martin Houliston, another son, who triumphed at the competition which took place earlier in the day at the 18-hole Warwickshire golf club. Keith, who works for Bakels, handed the cup over to Martin, who is the new business development executive for Bako Northern. Keith Houliston told British Baker: “I am delighted that Martin won and also that he has joined the industry, working with Bako.” Since Neil’s death Keith has participated in courses with the police and fire brigade to educate youngsters about the importance of wearing seatbelts. He has also appeared on local BBC and ITV programmes.Special certificatePast president of the NA, Henry Jefferies, presented Babs Waring with a special certificate honouring her husband Sid Waring’s lifetime ser-vice and support to the NA. Sid, who died late last November, had been a past president of the Berks and Oxford associations, as well as LASER. One of his daughters, Janet Carr, runs the craft business – with shops in and around Reading – and also sits on the NA board.The weekend conference also included a banquet, a fancy dress buffet with a Caribbean theme and a cruise on the River Avon.
Johnstone’s just desserts (Wishaw, Warwickshire) has created a range of festive cakes in the run-up to Christmas.New products include Caramel Shortbread, which uses edible decorations to display pictures of snowmen, as well as Luxury Cheesecake Mini Bites, Luxury Caramel and Chocolate Drizzled Flapjacks, Yoghurt Coated Flapjacks and Stem Ginger and Chocolate Tiffin.MD Lewis Johnstone, says: “Christmas is a time of indulgence. What better way to celebrate with family and friends than to share some of the sweeter things in life and spoil them with luxury cakes.”Johnstone’s Just Desserts recently announced a £2m investment for the development of new packaging, new products and new technology.
Allied Bakeries’ market share for its Kingsmill brand has reduced in every region of the UK over the last year, according to new market research compiled by Warburtons.Warburtons’ Bakery Review 2006 report, which uses data from sources including AC Nielsen and TNS, divides the UK into 10 regions.The Kingsmill brand is strongest in London, where it had a 26.2% share of the market for the year to July 2006. But that is down from 27.4% the previous year.In the east of England, Kingsmill’s second biggest region, it has dropped from 25.9% to 23.8% market share and in the south-east it has dropped from 25% to 21.1% year on year.The report states that the Warburtons’ brand is strongest in five of the 10 regions of the UK, and Hovis strongest in the other five.
Polin has introduced the Multidrop Junior into the UK market.The depositor is versatile, with the ability to manage a wide selection of products including muffins, swiss roll, Viennese, meringues, sheet cakes, cookies and choux buns/éclairs to name a few.It has the ability to handle up to 30 deposits per minute and up to eight across a standard 18 x 30″. It has a digital computer memory with up to 99 programmes allowing product ranges to grow and, after initial set-up, the Junior requires no skilled operation.
“Fruit was flown in from Paris daily, meat had to come all the way from Yorkes Butchers in Dundee, while the incorrect choice of biscuits for the executives’ afternoon tea was a disciplinary offence. The mistaken inclusion of pink wafers on one occasion led to a stern memo headlined ’Rogue Biscuits’”- as if disgraced former RBS chief Sir Fred Goodwin didn’t have enough to worry about, an ex-employee of scandal-hit RBS blows the whistle in The Sunday Times on the ’Biscuitgate’ scandal”I was given a hair net, a white paper coat… and, worst of all, a beard cover called a snood. I looked so totally ridiculous that any thoughts of incisive journalism left my head and I padded about the factory staring at biscuits and praying for the whole ordeal to be over. Nobody else in the factory was wearing a snood, but then, nobody in the factory was sporting a beard. I think any facially hirsute employee, when faced with the threat of the snood, soon decides that regular shaving is the better option”- Comedian Dom Joly, visiting a biscuit factory for a TV series on UK manufacturing, reveals why bakery is the cleanest-shaven industry out there
The sweet bakery industry was left “gob-smacked” by the Food Standards Agency’s (FSA’s) decision to include calorie reduction as part of its consul-tation on cutting saturated fat in baked goods.As widely expected, the FSA has proposed voluntary targets – described as “recommendations” in the consultation – for cutting saturated fat in biscuits, cakes, pastries and buns by between 5-10% by 2012, compared to 2008 levels. However, proposals that the cuts should be accompanied by a calorie reduction took industry by surprise.”Calorie reduction was not discussed in any of the meetings we had in the run-up to the consultation being announced, so we were gob-smacked to see them included,” said Barbara Gallani, manager of the Biscuits, Cakes, Confectionery and Chocolate Sector of the Food and Drink Federation. “Calorie reduction raises very different challenges compared to just reducing saturated fat and we will be responding strongly to the proposal during the consultation.”Stan Cauvain, director of bakery consultancy BakeTran, told British Baker that calorie reduction in bakery products was “hugely difficult”. “Reducing saturated fat in bakery products is, to varying degrees, achie-vable by using alternative fats. But reducing saturated fat and calories at the same time is a much bigger and more difficult task that means every component of a product will have to be looked at and its composition completely re-engineered,” he said. “The FSA may risk alienating industry with these proposals.”The consultation, which also covers chocolate and soft drinks, closes on 3 November.
Greencore has announced a strong performance in its Convenience Foods division for the three months to 24 December, 2010.It recorded continuing business revenue of €208.7m, an increase of 7.6% on the comparable period in the 2009/10 financial year, following the disposal of its Water and Continental business in the division.It said the performance of its two key categories – Food to Go and Prepared Meals – remained strong, “with a continuation of the favourable underlying market trends seen in FY10”, where value remains a key consumer theme.Greencore said the increase in ingredient and packaging inflation was more pronounced than the previous financial year, and it was managing these rises through a combination of selling price increases and cost reduction initiatives.Its board continues to recommend shareholders vote in favour of the merger with Northern Foods at the shareholder meeting on 31 January, 2011, and said it believed it represented “a compelling opportunity for value creation for both Greencore and Northern Foods shareholders”.
The government is confident that businesses in the private sector, particularly the smaller ones, are going to “lead this country out of recession”It says this will be achieved by creating thousands of new jobs. But it is also realised that they are going to need a much more employer-friendly environment before they can do this.A new announcement to help, plans for an ’Employers Charter’ has been unveiled. So what is it? More to the point, is it really worth having? The finer details will be confirmed over the next few months, but it is already clear that the Charter will focus on limiting employees’ rights. Part of this will involve doubling the length of service required before they can bring an unfair dismissal claim that is, from one to two years. However, there are a number of other areas that the government wants this Charter to cover.One is the tribunal process. At the moment, employees don’t have to pay anything to issue a claim. So in order to deter those who are simply trying to make some easy money, there are plans to introduce a charge. It isn’t yet known if it will be a deposit that is refunded to successful claimants, or a non-returnable fee. But, either way, it should make them think twice.Another idea involves reducing the amount of time during which employers are liable to pay Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). Currently, qualifying employees those who earn more than £97 per week are entitled to it from their fourth complete day of sickness absence for a maximum of 28 weeks. No new time period has been disclosed, but lowering it would certainly be a step in the right direction.In April, SSP rises from £79.15 to £81.60 per week. But at the time of publication, the date this takes effect had not been confirmed. A further plan is to exempt “small businesses” from some employment legislation. Again, no specific details are given, but the government wants to cut all unnecessary red tape. So, watch this space.While this type of Charter is a positive start to 2011 for employers, many pro-employee groups are up in arms at the mere thought of it. However, it is unlikely they will change anything as the government needs to focus on getting the economy moving.We must wait for the final consultation paper to dissect the Charter further and see if it is just a load of hot air. As soon as it becomes available we will look at it very closely. In the meantime, all current employment law requirements still apply. Fingers crossed.Gill Gill Brooks-Lonican, CEO
By Brooklyne Beatty – April 16, 2020 0 347 CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Pinterest Facebook Previous articleMDHHS reports stimulus checks will not affect public assistance benefitsNext articleIndiana Gov. Holcomb signs order supporting pharmacists Brooklyne Beatty Google+ American Red Cross offering free, virtual classes during pandemic Twitter (Photo Supplied/American Red Cross) Are you interested in learning about disaster response?The Indiana Region of the American Red Cross is now offering virtual classes, instead of its usual in-person ones, beginning Monday, April 20, to ensure trained volunteers are available to provide vital service.The classes will be offered virtually through Zoom. You can register by clicking here.The class schedule is as follows:Disaster Basics: An OrientationApril 20: 10-11:30 a.m. “Zero to Hero”: Begin a Trainee, Finish a ResponderApril 22: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.April 23: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Twitter Shelter FundamentalsApril 27: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Feeding FundamentalsApril 28: 1-4 p.m. WhatsApp TAGSAmerican Red CrossclassescoronavirusCOVID-19disaster responseIndianapandemicvirtual Mass Care: An OverviewApril 27: 9:30-10 a.m. WhatsApp Facebook Distribution of Emergency Supplies FundamentalsApril 29: 1-4 p.m. Google+ Disaster Assessment Part II: Map Meet-UpMay 7: 1:30-2:30 p.m. Pinterest Disaster Assessment Part I: Conducting Detailed Damage AssessmentsMay 4-6: (take at your own pace)
Indiana’s fiscal year ends on a financially rocky note due to pandemic (Jon Zimney/95.3 MNC) (INDIANAPOLIS) — Indiana will close the books Tuesday on a fiscal year that’s turned out to be financially rockier than expected even four months ago.The pandemic has put Indiana a billion dollars behind what legislators budgeted for last year. Some of that money will come back next month, as income tax files arrive at the later-than-usual July 15 deadline. But budget director Cris Johnston expects the shortfalls to continue after that, with a gap of three-or-four-billion dollars by the time the two-year spending plan ends next June. That’s a number that dwarfs even Indiana’s once-robust surplus of two-point-three-billion dollars.Johnston says he’s confident a mix of spending cuts and federal aid can keep Indiana in the black. Governor Holcomb has already canceled nearly 600-million dollars in spending, and asked state agencies to cut budgets by 15-percent. There’s also federal help from the CARES Act, but unless Congress revisits the bill, that money can’t be used simply to plug holes in the budget — it’s limited to specific, pandemic-related expenses. Even within those restrictions, Johnston says there’s uncertainty. He says the Treasury Department still needs to clarify how closely tied to the coronavirus that spending needs to be. The state health department still has other duties apart from the virus, and Johnston says it’s unclear whether those costs can be paid with the federal money.Johnston says he’s not worried about having enough money to pay the state’s bills. But he says the pandemic will siphon most of the cash out of the state’s rainy day funds, and predicts the budget legislators write next spring will need to be tight, to rebuild those reserves. He says he’s “fairly confident” a tax hike would be “the very last thing” to be considered.Johnston says fiscal analysts will do a formal revision of their forecast in September, three months ahead of their usual December update. WhatsApp Pinterest Twitter Twitter By Network Indiana – June 29, 2020 0 339 Google+ WhatsApp Previous articleSouth Bend Cubs to host movie night July 10thNext articleBBB investigating a possible contractor scam in Mishawaka Network Indiana CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Pinterest Facebook Google+ Facebook