Posted on

first_imgUSL Results & Reports 28.04.134 Lanterns Ulster Senior LeagueCockhill Celtic 0 0 Finn Harps Reserves Knockalla Caravans Cup quarter-finalsDrumkeen Utd. 2 4 Swilly Rovers (aet)Kildrum Tigers 1 0 Derry City Res.Fanad Utd. v Letterkenny Rovers (playing Monday) ReportsUlster Senior LeaguePremier DivisionCockhill Celtic FC – 0Finn Harps FC Res – 0 Played in blustery conditions with the occasional rain shower it was Finn Harps, the visitors to the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds, who looked the happier off the two sides at the final whistle. Indeed the men from the ‘Twin Towns’ could have snatched it late on, when Michael Doherty threatened to steal a win that they, if honest, never looked like winning.Cockhill, the home side, had the lions share off possession throughout the game and had numerous chances to go in front; striker Aiden O’Donnell had a difficult chance on 8 minutes but his lob went harmlessly wide after a neat pass from Jimmy Bradley. Finn Harps wide man Gary Merritt had a good run down the right wing on 11minutes but his ball went straight across the six yard line with no Harps jersey in sight. Harps suffered a blow on 19 minutes when the injured Stephen O’Donnell was replaced by Cathal McDaid. Cockhills skipper Liam O’Donnell then headed wide another chance from 6 yards after a Gerry Gill corner on 31minutes; two minutes later the home side produced the move off the game that resulted in a low left foot drive from Gerry Gill only to be denied by Harps keeper Michael Lynch who produced a great save with his left leg. Former Harps keeper Gavin Cullen then misjudged a Harps corner on 40 minutes which clipped the crossbar before going wideCockhill were themselves forced into a change on 48 minutes when Garbhain Friel replaced the injured Gerard McLaughlin. Cockhills Paul McKinney had a shot, from a tight angle, saved by Lynch on 57 minutes with the loose ball eventually cleared by the alert Aaron O’Hagan. Lynch was forced into another smart save after Gill found space to shot from the edge of the area. The game started to become stretched and more open as we entered the final quarter; Harps substitute Cathal McDaid was unlucky with a scooped effort on 68 minutes as he spotted Cullen off his line but as the keeper raced back the ball cleared the bar. Harps had another scare on 70 minutes when Gill raced onto a long clearance by Cullen to shot goal wards; Gills effort was too much for Lynch with the keeper lucky to have the covering Josh Mailey clear the danger as the ball headed for the net. Cockhills big goal chance came on 73 minutes when Aiden O’Donnell got on the end off a low cross from the right only to rush his effort when unmarked and blaze over from 6 yards. As the game entered the final 15 minutes Harps Michael Doherty came to life with some neat passages off play and on 81 minutes Doherty picked the ball up wide on the left cut inside two tackles before getting into the box past another tired tackle and hitting a powerful effort that keeper Cullen parried at full stretch to his right for a corner that came to no avail. In the final action of note and with little over 5 minutes remaining Cockhill substitute Derek Doherty produced a good cross from the right but Mailer again cleared the danger with Friel ready to pounce.Knockalla Caravans Cup Drumkeen Utd 2Swilly Rovers 4Drumkeen went into lead after 10 minutes when a corner from Brendan Bonner was knocked out to Luke O Farrell who shot home from 10yds. Some slack marking in the home defence when a through ball by Laurence Toland found the home rearguard sleeping and Ronan Curtis ran through to shoot home from 12 yds to level for the visitors. A Brendan Bonner free kick put the home 2-1 up when he shot into the bottom corner from 25yds to leave it 2-1 at half time to the home side. Drumkeen had plenty of chances to put the game out of sight but could not score from close in on at least three occasions. Drumkeen were to rue their missed chances with three minutes remaining when Keith Hegarty scored for Swilly to send the game into extra time. Swilly went into the lead for the first time when Michael Mc Hugh scored before Drumkeen had a chance to draw level but missed a penalty. The veteran Mc Hugh scored a second to put Swilly into the semi final. Ref: John CollFixtures – Sunday, May 5th at 2pmDonegal News League CupGroup AFinn Harps Res. v Fanad Utd.Kildrum Tigers v Bonagee Utd.Group BDerry City Res. v Swilly RoversLetterkenny Rovers v Cockhill CelticULSTER SENIOR LEAGUE REPORTS: SWILLY ROVERS AND KILDRUM TIGERS PROGRESS IN KNOCKALLA CARAVANS CUP was last modified: April 28th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:ULSTER SENIOR LEAGUE REPORTS: SWILLY ROVERS AND KILDRUM TIGERS PROGRESS IN KNOCKALLA CARAVANS CUPlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *