Posted on

first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS SUNDAYBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionRathmullan Celtic 2 Gweedore Celtic 2 A late goal poachers goal from Rathmullan Celtic’s talismanic striker Eamonn Sheridan salvaged a crucial point for the Seasiders after a pulsating encounter at the Flagpole Field saw the Battle of the Hoops end in a dramatic 2-2 draw which leaves Rathmullan a point clear at the summit of the Premier Division with a game in hand over Glenea United who made ground with a win at home over Kilmacrennan Celtic.After last weekend’s heroic win away at St Catherine’s, Rathmullan came into Sunday’s encounter with their tails up despite the fact they were missing midfielder Eoin Sheridan, sharp shooter Dara Patton and player/manager Paddy Sheridan through injury. The management of Paddy Sheridan and Paddy Burger called upon Barry Mooney, Glen Bovaird and Eric Roberts to deputise for the trio and they got off to the perfect start after four minutes when Aaron Mc Clafferty and Niall Doherty played some neat one touch football to set up Eamonn Sheridan who gathered the ball at the edge of the area before cutting inside the Gweedore defence and slotting a drive low into the opposite corner to give an early lead to the Seasiders. The home side piled on the pressure but could not double their advantage. Gweedore duly punished them on the half hour mark when Colin Ferry crossed into Seimí Uí Domhnaill who volleyed superbly into the top corner from 10 yards to equalise proceedings. With 15 minutes remaining before the interval the Seasiders completely dominated the play but somehow failed to take the lead, Shea Coyle and Kieran Gorman both seeing their efforts cleared off the line. Niall Doherty’s venomous strike on the stroke of half time skimmed the crossbar of the Gweedore goal.The Hoops picked up the momentum in the second half with Barry Mooney guilty of missing a gilt edged opportunity inside the area on 55 minutes. The Seasiders gifted Gweedore the lead on 75 minutes when Kieran Gorman mis-hit a pass in defence which went straight to Chris Porter who calmly passed the ball Colin Ferry who simply struck the ball into an empty net. The stalwart defender Gorman made amends for this error as he drove the Hoops forward in search of the equaliser and the Seasiders pressed the Gweedore side into their own half for the remainder of the contest. With 10 minutes remaining Glenn Bovaird had a strike from the edge of the area which seemed to be blocked by the hand of the Gweedore defender inside the area but the penalty claims were to no avail. Ryan Connolly and Niall Doherty used their skills to try and unlock a stern Gweedore defence which was proving difficult. As the final whistle loomed Shea Coyle saw his flick inside the area go perilously wide before their persistent attacking finally paid dividends. On 88 minutes Kieran Gorman struck a ferocious low drive from 20 yards which was heading goal bound before Eamonn Sheridan added the slightest touch to guide the ball into the bottom left corner much to the relief of the title chasing Hoops. Rathmullan could and should easily have claimed all three points but were delighted to salvage a late draw with Paddy Burger and Niall Doherty impressing all game long with a stunning second half from Ryan Connolly, while Chris Porter led the Gweedore rearguard well. Referee: Paddy DuffyGlenea United 3 Kilmacrennan Celtic 1Glenea got their league challenge back on track with a hard earned victory over Kilmacrennan. The away side opened brightly and Trevor Alcorn went close twice in the opening minutes but his efforts were well saved by Joe Coll. The home side started to come more into the game as the half progressed and started to control the game but were finding it hard to create any clear cut chances although Donal Coll and Sean McBride both went close to opening the scoring. Kilmacrennan’s closest effort was a Sean Sandilands free-kick that was well saved. Glenea opened the scoring on 35 minutes when, after good work by Ryan McFadden and Sean Maguire down the left, allowed McFadden to pull the ball back and Kevin Mulhern who was on hand to fire the ball home. Kilmacrennan equalised on 43 minutes when Trevor Alcorn’s free-kick took a deflection and found its way to the corner of the net. In the 2nd half Kilmacrennan started strongly and Eddie Doherty went close on a couple of occasions. Glenea retook the lead on 65 minutes when Sean Maguire’s through ball found Sean McBride and he volleyed the ball home from 15 yards. Kilmacrennan tried hard to get back into the game but were unable to find a way past the home defence and as the clock ticked on they began to leave themselves open to the counter attack and on 87 minutes Denis Boyle’s through ball found McBride and he slotted the ball home at the second attempt. Best for Glenea were Kevin Mulhern and Sean McBride, while Trevor Alcorn and Sean Sandilands were best for Kilmacrennan. Referee: Marty Quinn.Cranford United 0 Milford United 2This game was switched to Cranford due to the weather and Milford went away with all three points. In a closely contested encounter the first half was edged by Cranford without any real clear cut chances at either end. Mark Flood was unlucky when his header went over the bar from a corner on 34 minutes and Kyle Black produced a comfortable save from Caolan Mc Gettigan just before half time. For the first 10 minutes of the second half Cranford built some good pressure but were hit with two Milford goals in quick succession. The first came on 65 minutes when a superb Cathal Mc Gettigan free kick took a deflection off a defender to end up in the net and that was followed four minutes later when PJ Hagan finished well after a good through ball from Paddy Peoples. A few half chances came in the remaining 20 minutes without any further goals. Best for Milford were Ciaran McGinley and Cathal Mc Gettigan with a team effort from Cranford. Referee: Ed Moore Lifford Celtic 1 Donegal Town 1This game was switched to the Hospital Field as the weather took its toll on the Greenbrae surface. Lifford began brightest and hit the front early as Alan Gethins finished from ten yards after Mc Brearty’s penalty was saved by the Donegal netminder. Lifford dominated the remainder of the first half but couldn’t add to their lead. As the second half began Donegal came more into the game and got their reward on 60 minutes when Byrne finished to the top corner from the edge of the box. This sparked Lifford into life again and they really should have gathered all three points as Johnny Mahon and Patrick Sumners both hit the crossbar from close range. Battling performances from both sides.Curragh Athletic 0 St. Catherines 3A goal either side of half-time ensured St Catherines took all three points from Killygordon. Played in decent conditions the first half was a fairly even game but just when it looked like being all square at the break Curragh were more than unlucky to concede an own goal just on the stroke of half-time. It got worse for the home side two minutes after the break when Daniel Breslin scored to put St. Catherines in the driving seat. Curragh continued to play good football and were unlucky when Shane Barclay’s shot was deflected for a corner. Aidan Mc Ginley wrapped up the points on sixty six minutes. This was a decent team effort from both sides with Christopher Murrin best for St Catherines. Curragh again had good performances from youngsters Justin Mc Bride and Dillon Irwin along with Alan Boal and Mickey O’ Brien. Referee: Liam Farren Watson Hire Division OneCappry Rovers 1 Gweedore United 0The home team started the stronger in this game. They pressed hard to get a first goal with the wind at their backs. But the away side coped with everything Cappry threw at them. In the 31st minute they finally got the reward they deserved when Darren O’Leary headed home a Benny Mc Laughlin corner. In the 36th minute Benny Mc Laughlin was played through by Brian Lafferty, Mc Laughlin cut back inside on to his right foot but his effort was straight at the United keeper. Darren O’Leary nearly added a second in the 45th minute when once again he headed a Benny Mc Laughlin corner goalwards but his effort was cleared off the line. In the second half Gweedore pressed hard to get level. Darren O’Leary and Gary Dunnion dealt with anything the away team put into the Cappry box. As the half went on it was the home team who went the closest to adding a goal through Alan Patton. Brian Lafferty then saw his volley just clear the crossbar. In the last minute Gweedore got a free-kick from which Cappry broke and should have sealed the game when Kevin Mc Glynn played through Mark Griffin who saw his effort cleared off the line. Cappry held out for the three points. Best for Cappry were Darren O’Leary, Gary Dunnion and Kevin Mc Glynn. Team performance from Gweedore United. Referee: Joe Mc Hugh.Eany Celtic 0 Dunkineely Celtic 1It took a solo effort from Andrew Mackey to break the deadlock between these two neighbours. Dunkineely played with the wind in the first half and a fine resilient Eany performance held it scoreless to half time, the visitors just having a few long range shots to show for their efforts. Eany had their moments as well in the first half but the score at the break remained 0-0. Playing with the wind Eany made some breakthroughs but it took Andrew Mackey to weave his way through the Eany defence and put Dunkineely one up on the 70th minute. The Dunkineely goal led a charmed life for the remainder of the game with lady luck departing the home team. Fiachra McGinley’s header hit the post and then Sean Furey the Dunkineely keeper defied Mark Ward and Paul Mc Groarty with the goal at their mercy. The game finished with the points going to the visitors but the home performance deserved more. Good team performances from both sides in blustery conditions. Referee: Kevin Logue.Lagan Harps 2 Keadue Rovers 2Lagan and Keadue played out a tense relegation battle in Drumkeen. The result was of more benefit to Keadue who threatened to win it at the end. After a nervy start by both teams Keadue opened the scoring on ten minutes. Chris Mc Glynn beat a defender wide on the left and his low cross was neatly flicked home by Shaun Boyle. Lagan came more into the game and equalised on twenty five minutes. Ryan Diver put Ruairi Crawford through and although his initial shot was saved Eunan Diver sent home the rebound. Lagan took the lead on fifty five minutes when Austin Marron beat the keeper to a long through ball from Eunan Diver. Keadue upped the tempo and had several near misses before equalising on sixty eight minutes. Lagan again gave away possession in midfield and the ball was played through to Shaun Boyle. He held off a weak tackle before shooting home at the near post. Boyle almost completed his hat-trick in the final minute when Lagan again gave away possession but Damien Mc Fadden did well to hack his effort off the goal line. For Lagan Oisin Kelly, Austin Marron and Eunan Diver were best while Paul Boyle, David Ward and Shaun Boyle were best for Keadue. Referee: Packie Coll.CT Ball Division TwoWhitestrand United 1 Deele Harps 1On a cold blustery day Whitestrand United took on Deele Harps at Whitestrand Park. Both teams needed a result so the match took on an added importance. Whitestrand started the game very well and had an early chance when James Gallagher swung in a corner and it was narrowly headed over by Paul lynch. It was an excellent start but as the game wore on Deele gradually began to get a foothold and much of the half was played in the Whitestrand half. Whitestrand did have their chances and Michael Sweeney had a header cleared off the line. Deele broke the deadlock on 41 minutes when Shane Gallagher scored.The second half starter in a similar vein with Whitestrand putting pressure on Deele. Some good play from Whitestrand led to Michael Sweeney breaking through and hitting a shot narrowly past the far post. The pressure finally told when Paul Lynch put in Anthony Fisher down the right and he crossed for James Gallagher to slot into the goal. It was a deserved equaliser. After this neither team really could get control of the match. It seemed to be that towards the end of the game both teams were beginning to settle for the draw, which consolidated a decent run of results for Whitestrand. Best for the Strand were James Gallagher and Sean McFadden and it was a solid team performance from Deele Harps.Letterbarrow Celtic 1 Copany Rovers 0The game started off at an electric pace with both teams feeling that nothing but a win would be acceptable. Copany started well but struggled to break through the solid defence of the home team. Opportunities were shared during the first half with the game tied 0-0 at half time. The second half started as the first ended. Chances were being created by both sides but it was not until the 65th minute when James Mc Groary scored from a superb long range strike after noticing the away team’s keeper off his line. Copany increased their attack force for the last half hour but were unable to break through Letterbarrow’s defence and goal keeper. Christopher Burke and James Mc Groary were best for the home side. Referee: James Malseed. A minutes silence was observed for the late John Campbell of Kilcar. The club offers their condolences to the Campbell family.Raphoe Town 5 Drumbar F.C. 0Raphoe welcomed Drumbar to the Deele College grounds on a sunny but windy day and picked up another three points as they push up the table. The first twenty minutes were a tight affair with Drumbar going close on a few occasions with long range efforts. On the half hour Raphoe took the lead following a fine move when Seamy Bogle exchanged passes with Jamie Gallagher and picked out Paddy Gallagher with an exquisite pass. He gave the keeper no chance. The second goal arrived on forty minutes when Jamie Gallagher was brought down in the box and Paddy Gallagher scored from the spot. Drumbar kept going and had a few half chances in the second half but Raphoe killed the game off when Jamie Gallagher scored on sixty minutes with a fine finish into the bottom corner. Raphoe added a fourth when Paddy Gallagher scored a fantastic free kick from thirty yards. Stephen Craig scored the goal of the game when he picked up the ball in his own half jinked past two defenders and let fly from thirty five yards giving the keeper no chance. Raphoe could have added to the tally but Drumbar stood firm for the rest of the game. Team performance from Drumbar with Paddy Gallagher, Tom Mc Hugh and stand in keeper Christy Bogle performing well for the town. Referee Victor Rainey.SATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneMulroy Celtic 0 St. Catherines Reserves 1Played in boggy conditions the away side left with all three points. The home side pressed from the word go but another day of not taking chances proved to be their downfall. The game remained scoreless until ten minutes into the second half when a counter attack resulted in a goal been scored. With men queuing up to score the chance fell to Gary Cunningham who duly dispatched home. Mulroy pushed hard for an equaliser but it never arrived. The away defence proved a hard nut to crack. Not a day for flowing football but St Catherine’s headed towards the gap with three hard earned points. Best for Mulroy: the back four and Jerry. A good team performance by the away side.Castlefin Celtic Reserves 3 Fintown Harps AFC 2In wet and windy conditions in Park View both teams had chances early on. On nineteen minutes Castlefin took the lead when Peter Bryson found the head of Keith Nelis for him to head into the net. Fintown had a great chance to equalise on thirty five minutes only for Gary Mc Hugh’s well struck free kick to hit the woodwork. Fintown found an equaliser on the stroke of half time when they were awarded a penalty. John McFadden stepped up for Fintown and finished into the bottom corner.Castlefin started the second half the brighter, having most of the possession. Keith Nelis kept the Fintown Keeper busy. On a day were not much football could be played due to the heavy rain fall on the pitch both teams were determined to get a winner. Castlefin took the lead again as Keith Nelis made it 2-1 on seventy five minutes. Ronan Tourish played a perfect ball into the box to Nelis who was composed in front of goal to score. With minutes remaining Ronan Tourish secured Castlefin’s win when he won the ball from the Fintown defence. Tourish went on himself going one on one with the Keeper. He made no mistake placing the ball down the centre. Referee: Seamus Mc Crory. Best for Castlefin: Keith Nelis. Best for Fintown: team performance.Orchard F.C. 1 Glenea United Reserves 4In a game reversed to Mc Gettigan Park it was the Gaeltacht men who ran out winners. Playing with the aid of the wind it was Glenea who settled the quickest and forced the early play. Orchard came more into the game as the half progressed but it was Glenea who took the lead on 15 minutes when Shane Ferry opened the scoring when he took a pass from Michael Mc Cafferty and fired home from 25 yards. Glenea extended their lead on 20 minutes when Dean Gallagher headed home a Shane Coll cross after good work down the left by Tommy Rodgers. Glenea got their third on 35 minutes when Lee O’ Brien forced the ball home after a goalmouth scramble. Orchard tried hard to get back into the game before half-time and it took a couple of good saves from Shaun Mc Clafferty to keep them at bay In the 2nd half Orchard started in a determined fashion and came close with a number goalmouth scrambles but could not force the ball home. As Orchard pushed forward for a goal they were open to the counter attack and on 65 minutes Glenea extended their lead when Dean Gallagher picked the ball up on the half way line and made a strong run down the left from where he drove into the box and hammered the ball home from a tight angle. Orchard kept going but once again found the home keeper in good form. Orchard were finally rewarded on 85 minutes when Sean Sweeney converted a penalty after a handball in the box.Best for Glenea were Kevin McFadden, Shane Ferry & Dean Gallagher, while it was a team effort from Orchard. Referee: Martin Coll.Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoStrand Rovers 1 Donegal Town Reserves 4The rain cleared and at times the sun even shone on Saturday’s game in Maghery . Donegal started off very lively and were rewarded with only 4 minutes gone with the opening goal. Strand were shell shocked and Donegal pushed and scored again to make it 2-0. A tactical change for Strand saw them enjoy a bit more possession of the ball and get back into it before Donegal once again scored making it 3-0. However Strand’s heads never went down and they managed to pull one back before halftime. The second half kicked off and Strand looked stronger and they had a few attempts on goal only to be denied by a few good saves from the Donegal Town Goalkeeper. The introduction of fresh legs for Donegal proved to be to their advantage and they were rewarded again to make the final score 4-1. Scorers for Donegal were two for David bustard and one each for Joe McIntyre and Ciaran O’ Reilly. Strand’s scorer was Brendan Glackin. Two good team performances.RESULTSSATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneMulroy Celtic 0 v 1 St. Catherines ReservesCastlefin Celtic Reserves 3 v 1 Fintown Harps AFCOrchard F.C. 1 v 4 Glenea United ReservesRamelton Mariners P v P Glencar CelticGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoStrand Rovers 1 v 4 Donegal Town ReservesMilford United Reserves P v P Tullyvinney RoversCranford United Reserves P v P Curragh Athletic ReservesGlenree United Reserves P v P Keadue Rovers ReservesSUNDAY 09-02-2014Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionRathmullan Celtic 2 v 2 Gweedore CelticGlenea United 3 v 1 Kilmacrennan CelticCranford United 0 v 2 Milford UnitedLifford Celtic 1 v 1 Donegal TownCurragh Athletic 0 v 3 St. CatherinesWatson Hire Division OneCappry Rovers 1 v 0 Gweedore UnitedEany Celtic 0 v 1 Dunkineely CelticLagan Harps 2 v 2 Keadue RoversCT Ball Division TwoWhitestrand United 1 v 1 Deele HarpsGlenree United P v P Ballybofey UnitedLetterbarrow Celtic 1 v 0 Copany RoversRaphoe Town 5 v 0 Drumbar F.C.FIXTURESSATURDAY 15-02-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneSt. Catherines Reserves v Fintown Harps AFCGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoArranmore United v Glenree United Reserves (K.O. 1 p.m.)Curragh Athletic Reserves v Gweedore United ReservesSUNDAY 16-02-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionGweedore Celtic v Lifford CelticKilmacrennan Celtic v Curragh AthleticMilford United v Donegal TownRathmullan Celtic v Cranford UnitedSt.Catherines v Glenea UnitedWatson Hire Division OneCappry Rovers v Dunkineely CelticGweedore United v Keadue RoversKerrykeel ’71 F.C. v Eany CelticCT Ball Division TwoBallybofey United v Whitestrand UnitedConvoy Arsenal v Letterbarrow CelticCopany Rovers v Glenree UnitedDeele Harps v Raphoe TownDrumbar United v Dunlewy CelticDONEGAL LEAGUE – ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: February 9th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *